Five (More) Reasons to Kick Your Sugar Habit.. TODAY!
How much sugar is acceptable is a common question of many… Refined sugar is not doing your body any favors, quitting it however, can do wonders.
Here are just 5 simple reasons to help you rid yourself of the nasty refined sugar lurking in your life!
1. Blood Sugar Regulation Sugar consumption directly impacts the body’s ability to regulate blood sugar levels and can lead to insulin resistance, hypo-and hyperglycemia, pre-diabetes and diabetes. Uncontrolled blood sugar also can cause damage to blood vessels, impacting the health of the heart, kidneys, nerves, and eyes.
2. Immune System Suppression Sugar suppresses the immune system through decreasing activity in immune system cells that attack bacteria.
3. Mineral Balance Sugar inhibits mineral absorption, depriving the body of key minerals necessary for health, and depletes the body of magnesium, which is required for proper functioning of every single cell in the human body and essential for calcium absorption and utilization.
4. Brain Health and Mood If you’ve read David Perlmutter’s incisive critique of carbohydrates and sugar on brain health, “Grain Brain” you already know that sugar has powerful effects on mood and long-term brain health. Additionally, since B vitamins are required to metabolize sugar and carbohydrates, sugar consumption can lead to deficiencies in the mood-boosting B-complex vitamins.
5. Skin Health Sugar binds to proteins and fats in the body during digestion to create “advanced glycosylation end products” or AGES, which are free radicals that reduce collagen and elastin in the skin, ultimately causing wrinkles and loss of skin elasticity.